Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A fun day off

Monday here was a holiday so Alan didn't have work and the kids didn't have school. We decided that we needed to go do something so we decided to go check out the safari at the National Park. For $10 we all (including our driver) went on the Safari. Tells you how good it really was. The kids loved it. We all got into a Steel caged bus and drove through some gates, that made you feel like you were entering Jurassic Park. You went through one gate, and they would close it behind you and open another gate. We saw Monkeys, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Deer, and...Termites?!? When we got on the bus, of course we were given the Royal Treatment, because we are white. We got to sit in the front of the bus next to the driver, and every time he would stop, he would wait for me to finish telling my kids about the animals before he would move on. He would look at me for my approval before he moved the bus. Also, there was a bus driver helper that kept wiping the seats and windows because it was raining hard. He decided that he needed to be my photographer so he took my camera and started taking a lot of pictures of all the animals for me...um...OK. I kept trying to tell him to only push the button half way so it could focus, and then you could push it the rest of the way to take the picture. Apparently I don't speak well enough, or he didn't, because hardly any of the hundreds of pictures he took came out. The ones that I was able to adjust in photoshop are the ones that I posted. I finally decided to turn the camera onto video so that we would at least get some pictures. He couldn't really figure that one out either, but here are a few clips he took too. At the end of the Safari one of the things that they stopped the bus for was a big mound on the side of the road. The kept saying termites and were very excited about them, but I wonder if we just couldn't understand them right.


I guess this was the Termites.
When we got off the bus, people again wanted to get their picture taken with us. I tried to take a picture of them taking a picture of Alan and the kids, but...I was trying to not step in a big puddle, so I cut out Alan and the kids. And...our driver is looking at me like I'm a weirdo.

After the Safari, our kids were "STARVING!" , but I think it was because they spotted some chips. Ellie and Maddie got a bag of chips each, and Ethan picked out a thing of corn on the cob. They roast them over coals on the side of the road. Apparently we are getting a little more brave with each outing. (Alan bought it, not me) I had to take a picture of him eating it, because for some reason it reminded me of Nacho Libre when the skinny guy is laying there eating corn. About 1/2 through eating the cob, he started to squirm and cry. I said what's wrong and he cried "MY LIPS ARE BURNING!!!" I guess they put some spices on it.


No comments: