Monday, June 29, 2009

And we're off!!!

 June 25th we flew out to India. We loaded all of our luggage into my parents Expedition, and we all rode in the minivan, one last time, to the airport. 
 This is Maddie helping carry luggage out to the car.
 SLC airport with all of our luggage. 12 checked bags and 6 carryons.
When we got to the airport and started checking our luggage in, they weighed it all to make sure it didn't go over 50 lbs/bag.  Ethan was very interested in the scale so he decided to start weighing himself.
 Then Maddie and Ellie had to try. Then they started weighing each other together, with and without their backpacks on, etc.
My dad was trying to entertain while we checked the bags.  He also gave grandma a ride on the cart.
Once we got through security we had a 1/2 hour to wait until we boarded.  The kids found the play area and were completely entertained.
We flew from SLC to LA and then onto Singapore.  Maddie had problems with her ears on the flight from SLC to LA. She cried a little bit when we first took off, but was able to stick her finger in her ear and pull it out fast to make it pop. About 20 minutes left in that flight they started to hurt again. She started to cry and cry and CRY. Pretty soon I could see everyone on the plane start looking at their watches. I'm sure they were glad to see that flight end.  When we landed in LA we gave her some Motrin for her pain. We decided that we should get something to eat for our last meal in the US. Because we were flying Business Class, they have a lounge you can go to and get food. 
Our next flight was on Singapore Air. It was a GREAT FLIGHT!!! The next few pictures are from that flight. Annie fell asleep during take-off, so I was able to make her a bed in the seat next to me. We layed it down into the bed and lined the edges with pillows. I told Alan I was going to go to sleep while she was so that when she woke up I would be able to stay up with her. She slept for 7 hours, and so did I.
Ethan decided that he wanted to watch a movie with Alan. He also enjoyed one in my seat along with Annie after we woke up.
Everytime Annie fussed, or acted like she was getting board, the stewardess would take her and walk around the plane with her. They all would take her from each other. This is one of them and she wouldn't let me carry her off the plane. 
Once we got to Singapore, we found a Burger King for lunch/dinner/breakfast. By this time our timing was all mixed up. It was 5:00 a.m. Singapore time, but around 3:00 p.m. SL time. It's a good thing Burger King serves hamburgers 24 hours a day.
After this we went and got a hotel room in the Singapore Airport. They only would let 3 people be to a room, so we had to get 2 rooms. Ellie and Maddie stayed in a room that had 2 twin sized beds. Me, Alan, Ethan and Annie stayed in the other room. We slept until about 4 hours before our next flight. Our original plans were to tour Singapore while we waited for our flight, but we were too exhausted and we overslept. After wandering around Singapore Airport, we found a place to have dinner. Alan and Ethan had Sushi and the girls and I had Burger King once again.  After we got done eating, Ellie had the quote of the trip. "Wow, they sure do serve alot of fish here. Do you think there is a pond near by?" to which I replied, "Yes, it's called the ocean."
We got on our last flight and the kids were pretty excited to get to India.
Once we finally got to our hotel, it was 11:45 p.m. on the 27th. We started to unload a few bags and realized that the powder gatorade and the powder baby formula we had bought had been squished and exploded all over the bag.  I had snuck some Dr. Pepper into the bag and as we unloaded it I handed it to Alan with a "Happy Anniversary".

2 comments:

Tracy Cornia said...

I am so glad you guys made it ok. It looks like your flight was nice. I might have to fly like that next time. I'm sorry I was such a boob the other day on the phone. I was doing good until the goodbye. It really won't be that long and we will see you again. It's just the thought of you being so far away. Keep us posted on your adventure. Hugs and kisses from the USA.

Martha said...

You made it!! So, did you figure out how to get to the store? What's it like to ride in a rickshaw? (I don't know how to spell it)