Wednesday, April 7, 2010

More Random India Pictures

Right now is Watermelon season. YUM!
Sisters
Orange fruit carts
Man riding in the cardboard box recycle truck
So many people ride around with their whole families on bikes. I know I've said this before, but I'm AMAZED that more people don't die from motorbike accidents here.
The campaign trail. In a weird way this also reminds me of "Back to the Future" when they are driving around saying "Vote for Mayor Goldie Wilson"
Many people tell us how corrupt all the politicians are here in India. We have no doubt that is true. For example, our driver has told us over and over that the politicians will pay you for your vote. The typical payment is 200 rupees (about $4), and 50 rupee bottle of wine, and 1 Chicken Biryani packet. Chicken Biryani is a common dish around here, but I have no idea why it makes a good bribe for a vote.



5 comments:

Jennie said...

You are getting better with more practice! Did you actually get out the car for some of those? hehe. I think I will need copies of a couple of those.

The Robert A. Meier Family said...

I'm glad I came across you family blog. It's been fun to see what you guys have been up to. I love that the only person on the motorcyle with a helmet is the dad. How dumb is that.

Tracy Cornia said...

I was going to comment about the dad being the only one with a helmet too. That is so funny!!! I can't wait until I get to come see it all for myself. Katie and I are getting way excited for our visit next month!!!

Kelli said...

I think Alan should become a politician!!!!

Time-Out With Tiffany said...

What a great experience you guys are having :)