Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween

Indians don't celebrate Halloween, but our neighborhood has alot of Indian-Americans in it, so we had our own (not so little) Halloween celebrations. We haven't had any Halloween season, or even a fall feeling for that matter, so Halloween happened all in one day. This post has A LOT of pictures of our Halloween. After seeing my sisters blog with the pictures of her kids Halloween activities, our kids kept saying "Take a picture of this and put it on our blog, so everyone can see we did it."
This past week I've been trying to pull together costumes for our kids. I went to a fabric store to buy some "Cheap" material so that I could sew a pumpkin, and shread up some white strips for a mummy. When I went into the store I asked the man for the cheapest material they had. (I didn't want to spend much money on it) He went over into the corner and asked what color I needed. I told him Orange, Green, and White. (I had found some Superman Pajamas for Ethan to wear) He pulled out the cheapest material they had. 100% pure silk!!! I have to admit, I really didn't spend that much money on it, but it killed me everytime I shreaded a white strip of silk. The costumes came out great, and I think I'll end up packing them away for another year.
Our Halloween day started out as every Saturday starts...Alan was off golfing, and I was helping the kids finish up some homework. When Alan came home, he had 3 pumpkins. I hadn't even thought about carving pumpkins because all the pumpkins I've seen here have been about the size of a large grapefruit. He found a few larger ones, except they weren't too orange. More of a tan color. The kids were excited to carve them, and Alan asked our driver if he wanted to help. He was kind of excited, and our maid watched on with a "what in the world are you doing to those pumpkins" look on her face.
CARVING PUMPKINS:


Ellie of course wanted a Kitty pumpkin
Maddie wanted hers with scary fangs
Ethan's is a scary alien pumpkin.
When we got finished carving pumpkins, we got our costumes on and headed over to the Clubhouse for a Halloween Party. Ellie had invited one of her friends from school to come with her and to go Trick or Treating. Her mom also works with Alan so they came over and had pizza and Homemade Rootbeer (yep I searched High and Low and found some Dry Ice) that night too.
I tried with Annie's costume to make her a Princess, but she more turned out to be a big ball of Tulle. Everyone at the Clubhouse thought she was dressed up as cotton candy.

PARTY AT THE CLUBHOUSE:
They had Pin the Broom on the Witch, Trick or Treat bag decorating, Make a Mummy game, and they also had an Indian version of Snowcones. They are called Golas. They make a snowcone in a cup but instead of just putting the syrup on it, they squish it into the cup to make it solid again, then they put a stick in it and make it into a popcicle type thing. They then put the syrup over that.



Tanesha (neighbor), Ellie, and Hannah (Ellie's friend from school)
Notice in the picture Ellie in shorts. We've traded Trick or Treating in Coats for Trick or Treating with Bug Spray. It was about 80 degrees when they headed out that evening.
TRICK OR TREATING:
Alan invited our driver to bring his 2 1/2 year old daughter to come Trick or Treating with us. She was so excited, and he was too. We had an old costume that had happened to make it's way over here.


Laura McGrath, Alan's co-worker and Hannah's mom. They were headed to a costume party after they left our house. She was dressed as "The bride of Death"

No comments: