Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Morning

Ethan had a few good lines this morning as we were getting ready for church. The first one made my day. The conversation went something like this:

Mom: Ethan hurry and lets get dressed for church.
Ethan: I want to wear my shirt with a pocket.
Mom: OK here is the white one just like Dads.
Ethan: Mom, I wish I was a Dad already.
Mom: Why?
Ethan: Then I could marry you!

I knew deep down he really loved me even though he always tells me that he only loves Dad!

Then the next conversation with Alan was a pretty good one too. Alan had to speak in church today and I was telling all of my kids that if they couldn't sit quietly in Sacrament Meeting they were going to have to have "church practice" when we get home.

Ethan: Then what can I do in church?
Mom: You can sit and listen to Dad talk.
Ethan: What's he going to say?
Dad: I'm going to teach you some good stuff.
Ethan: I already know good stuff.
Dad: What good stuff do you know.
Ethan: Like don't hit people.
Dad: What other good stuff do you know?
Ethan: You shouldn't banish people either.

That kid had me laughing all the way to church, and it's a good thing because he was awful in Sacrament Meeting and I just had to keep thinking to my self his funny conversations this morning to keep from loosing it! Alan gave a great talk about prophets. He mentioned in it that I had had the opportunity to ride in the elevator with President Hinckley and after church I became the most popular person with questions about him.
After church there was a baptism and I told Alan that I thought it would be a good experience to stay and let our kids watch the baptism of these 2 brothers and 1 sister. The missionaries baptized them, and then afterwards while we were waiting for them to change out of their wet clothes they wanted to sing some hymns. The pianist had left so they turned to me and asked me if I played the piano. I very timidly said I could play a little, so they asked me to play. ha ha ha!! Mom, why did you let me quit taking lessons? Don't answer that I already know the answer. I wouldn't have wanted to listen to me whine about practicing either. I played "Choose the Right" the only hymn I know and then they asked me to play something else. I plunked my way through "Teach Me to Walk in the Light". Needless to say I think I'll start practicing playing some hymns just in case they ever ask me again. Afterward, I leaned over to Ellie and told her to never quit practicing because you never know if someone is going to ask you to help play the piano.

2 comments:

DougandSheilah said...

I hear you about the piano. Wish I could play better too.

Unknown said...

We just finished reading your blog...had a great Sunday evening with you! :) Hope you have a happy week!! xoxo