Sunday, September 19, 2010

Happy Birthday!!

So...If there is one thing I've learned from being in India it's "don't sweat the small stuff." Nothing ever turns out just the way you want it to.  That being said, the last 2 days we have been celebrating Alan's birthday.

Because birthday's really are all about the party, and Alan's birthday fell on a Sunday this year, we went go carting with the kids yesterday. It was so much fun, and I think Alan loved being behind a wheel again. Even if it was only a go-cart.
 Baby had asked if she could make Alan a cake. I thought I could surprise him at church and have him cut a cake in EQ. Saturday I asked Baby to make a chocolate cake, with chocolate frosting while Alan and I were golfing. When I came home the kids were saying that "Baby made Dad a Pink cake" In the end Alan found out about the surprise and told me not to bring the cake to church. We ended up having cake and homemade "Moose tracks" ice cream at home.
They don't have "moose tracks" Alan's favorite ice cream, so I thought I'd make it for him. They don't have Reese's peanut butter cups here either, so I made those to crumble onto the chocolate ice cream. I also couldn't find any hot fudge to put in it, so I found a recipe that calls for melted chocolate chips. This was definitely "Moose tracks from scratch"

Vijay brought Alan some flowers for his birthday... When we got home from Ooty last week, someone at Alan's work had told him about some flowers from Ooty that last for a year. Alan asked him about these flowers, and so...Yellow Ooty flowers.

Also here, no one ever smiles for pictures hence the ornery looking faces with the birthday boy. We had only 10 candles that I had to somehow make into 35.

After dinner on Sunday we walked down to the club house and Ellie, Maddie, and Alan had a mean game of P-I-G! All in all I think the birthday was a success, but just not how I pictured.

No comments: